• Human beings are responsible for creating a better world. There is no evidence for a supernatural being or force to help us.
• Lifelong learning is better than dogma.
• Ethics should be based on human rights, compassion, respect, tolerance, equity, democracy and evidence, rather than faith, dogma or scriptures.
• A fulfilling, ethical and happy life is possible without religion.
• Schools should teach how to think, not what to think.
• Teaching of comparative religions, philosophy and cultures in schools is very beneficial, but should be taught by qualified teachers rather than by representatives of any particular religion.
• Public funds should not be used to pay for religious instruction and chaplains in schools. Professional counsellors should be available to students.
• There should be no tax breaks on the basis of religion.
• We are part of nature and need to respect and care for the natural world. Conserving the habitat of all species is central to a sustainable future.
• Respectful dialogue and co-operation with people of diverse convictions are enriching and stimulating and always better than violence.
Prepared by Rudi Anders
If you agree with this, why not subscribe to E-News from Humanists Victoria? You will find out what we are doing.