About Humanists Victoria
Humanists Victoria is part of a national and international humanist movement that strives for a world in which all individuals can attain their full potential. We do this through promoting an ethical, reasoned and compassionate approach to life. Humanists Victoria is actively engaged in the community through a variety of projects aimed at alleviating suffering and maximizing personal autonomy and responsibility.
Humanists Victoria formed initially as the Humanist Society of Victoria (HSV) Inc. in 1961. It is a non-profit organization whose aims are to:
- help develop a civil society in which each person may reach his or her potential
- advocate ethical decision-making and responsibility for one’s actions, based on respect for individual autonomy, peaceful coexistence between peoples of differing ways of life, and maintenance of a sustainable environment
- support human rights, civil liberties, secular education and a scientific approach to human problems
The breadth of our member and community involvement is continually expanding.
- We organize and run a monthly public presentation on topical issues.
- We run a monthly member discussion group on humanist issues of the day.
- We organize regular social events.
- We sponsor the Philosophy Matters philosophy discussion group.
- We run a support network for people who have left or are leaving their religion.
- We prepare and submit formal submissions to government and non-government bodies.
- We canvass politicians on humanist issues and concerns.
- We run a variety of humanist projects of benefit to the community.
- We distribute a monthly print newsletter and regular e-news bulletin.
- We engage with the broader community through our social media portals: Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
You can actively participate in furthering the aims of Humanists Victoria by:
- joining Humanists Victoria and enjoying member benefits
- joining our committee and helping steer our future direction
- working actively on one of our humanist projects
- running a members’ gathering in your locality
- writing articles for our newsletter and web site
- actively campaigning politicians on humanist issues
- writing submissions to government and non-government bodies
National and International Links
Humanists Victoria is part of a nationwide and international movement of humanistic-minded groups. Nationally, Humanists Victoria is an affiliate of Humanists Australia. Humanists Australia subscribe to the Minimal Statement of Humanism adopted by Humanists International.
HUMANISM is a democratic and ethical life stance that affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives. Humanism stands for the building of a more humane society through an ethics based on human and other natural values in the spirit of reason and free inquiry through human capabilities. Humanism is not theistic, and it does not accept supernatural views of reality.
Humanists Australia co-ordinates the activities of member societies at the federal level, organizes the annual humanist convention, publishes the Australian Humanist journal and liaises with other Australian freethought and secular societies.
Through Humanists Australia, we are associated with the global organization, Humanists International. This non-governmental organisation is accredited with the United Nations, advocating for the interests of freethinkers, secularists and humanists at the global level.
Find Out More
Humanists Victoria Policies and Principles
Humanists Victoria Statement of Purposes
History of Humanists Victoria (PDF download)
Meet our Committee of Management