Responding to an invitation from the Hon. Craig Laundy MP, Assistant Minister for Multicultural Affairs, to comment on recent negative media reports on multiculturalism, HSV made these main points.
- HSV has consistently supported cohesive, multicultural societies and their benefits.
- Critics and opponent present views imbued with xenophobia, racism and ignorance.
- We observe that intolerance is often based on conflicts between various beliefs and therefore we view sectarian schools as inimical to social cohesion.
- We urge, as we have done in previous letters, that school curricula present the main tenets of major belief systems, to engender understanding and tolerance.
- We urge for a school and public campaign to combat xenophobia and racism on the model of the current campaign on anti-homophobia.